Sew This Soft Cuddle® Heart Pillow
by Liz Gubernatis
If you’ve ever stopped to touch the softest, silky-smooth Cuddle® Luxe fabrics, you know how comforting and sweet a pillow can be. Thanks to Shannon Fabrics, we have a heart-shaped pillow tutorial to share with you - and it’s easier than you might imagine to stitch together. We’ve got all the tips and tricks to make this project beautiful and oh-so-snuggleable!
Project Size: Approximately 16” x 20”
Before We Begin - some Cuddle® Basics
These are the top ten tips for working with Cuddle® minky fabrics. Unless indicated otherwise, we’re using these tips to construct this heart pillow. Note the seam allowance, pinning and cutting hints, in particular, and be sure to lengthen your stitch and use polyester thread in top and bobbin. Here are the tips:
1. Mark measurements on the reverse side of fabric with a felt tip marker or ballpoint pen.
2. Cut with a rotary cutter, craft knife, or micro-serrated scissors.
3. To manage your “confetti'' just shake cut pieces or put in a no-heat dryer with a damp washcloth for a few minutes to remove loose fibers.
4. Sew with polyester thread in the top and the bobbin.
5. Reduce presser foot pressure when sewing multiple layers. (*For this project, two layers shouldn’t need any adjustments, but it’s a good rule of thumb.)
6. Increase stitch length to 3–4 mm.
7. Double pin by using 2 rows of pins— the first row every 1½" along the seam line and a second row 1" to the left and parallel to the cut edge.
8. Backstitch at beginning and end of seams.
9. Seam allowances are ½".
10. Use an even-feed or walking foot, if possible. It makes a difference!
Note: The L-pivot secures the seam ends when the pillow is turned right side out and helps the seam allowance turn in for hand sewing.
Pin the turning gap closed. Hand sew using a ladder stitch.
Ladder Stitch: Using polyester thread and hand-sewing needle, catch one side of the opening, then the other. Tighten every few stitches.
Now all that’s left is to snuggle into your new Cuddle® pillow. SEW much to love! Which colors, prints, and snuggly Cuddle® will you choose? Check out all the options at Missouri Star and show us YOUR Cuddle® Heart Pillow. #msqcshowandtell